As Naturopathic Doctors and face care fanatics, we are always asked about our favourite natural anti-aging secrets. In our youth obsessed culture, we are constantly bombarded with the newest anti-aging product or procedure, which can often be overwhelming and expensive. Although aging is inevitable, there are cost-effective, easy and natural ways to help you look and feel your best. Here are our top 5 tips for that youthful glow:
1) Catch of the Day: Research shows that fish oil is one of the best natural anti-inflammatories and can play a critical role in skin health. A prolonged state of inflammation, which can be caused by such things as stress, poor diet, chronic disease, alcohol and smoking, can damage the elastin fibers that determine the skin’s strength and firmness. This damage ages you by creating loose, sagging skin and wrinkles. Whether consumed fresh or in supplement form, we believe fish oil is a non-negotiable when it comes to anti-aging.
2) The Foundation of Youth: We’ve all heard it before – drink your 8 glasses of water per day. Here is one reason why. Skin lines and wrinkles appear deeper when a person is dehydrated. Water hydrates and plumps the skin cells making them look more youthful. It also distributes oxygen to the cells, improves circulation and removes impurities. We like to think of water as a natural, internal moisturizer so start sipping today!
3) Lift and Tighten: Exercise has much deeper benefits that just an improved physique. The blood flowing effects of exercise benefit the skin by promoting collagen growth. On a more cellular level, working out seems to counteract the effects of stress and cellular aging. Science shows that those who work out actually have more youthful cells. We suggest you hit the gym at least three times per week for benefits from the inside out.
4) Go Green: Ever wonder what causes wrinkles? Free radicals are harmful molecules that cause damage to the cells of your skin. You can’t feel when cells are damaged or dying but those wrinkles are a sure sign that it is happening. The antioxidants in colourful vegetables and fruits, such as leafy greens, deep red tomatoes, blue berries and carrots, help stop free radicals from damaging healthy cells. So at each meal, we want you to fill about half your plate with fruits and veggies and aim for five to nine servings a day.
5) Looking for a Natural Quick Fix?: Mesotherapy is an amazing service we offer for those clients who want a more immediate result. Different combinations of vitamins and minerals are injected into the skin to hydrate, tone, and revitalize. After treatments our clients report their skin as looking rested, radiant, glowing and firmer. This non-invasive technique can be used for face and neck revitalization, wrinkles, acne, scars, flaccid skin, and stretch marks. Consider this treatment as a direct way to feed your face and promote that youthful glow.
About Tamarah and Mardi…
Mardi Baum, ND and Tamarah Chaddah, ND are Naturopathic Doctor’s and co-owners of Puremedica Naturopathic Practice in Toronto. For more information on the clinic, services and hours of operation, head to www.puremedica.com. We always recommend seeking advice from a healthcare practitioner before embarking on any new supplement regime.