If you eat salads as much as I do, you understand that it’s easy to get bored having them several times a week. I rotate between spinach, kale, swiss chard, red cabbage, mescaline greens, and even regular Boston lettuce as a base and in terms of add on’s, trust me…I’ve tried everything. Or so I thought. I am determined to try creating and investigating new delicious recipes to help me stay on my path of clean eating this winter season and I will be sharing my fave ones with you. With a touch of champagne vinegar in the dressing, which I discovered on epicurious.com, crispy pears and pecans, this chic salad is so damn good, I had to give it a designer name; the Kale Lagerfeld Salad – a play on this dark leafy green and one of my favourite designers.
What You’ll Need
- 2 bunches of kale, stems removed
- 2 medium pears, cored and cut into slices (preferably asian pears)
- 1/2 cup of pecans, rough chopped
- 1/2 of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 small shallot
- 2 tablespoons of dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons of champagne vinegar
- juice of 1 large lemon
- 1/2 – 1 tablespoon of honey or maple syrup
- 1 large clove of crushed garlic
- coconut oil
- sea salt and black cracked pepper
In a small mixing bowl, combine champagne vinegar, olive oil, shallot, garlic, lemon juice, mustard, honey or maple syrup and sea salt. Use some coconut oil to lightly coat a sauce pan. Cook the kale in batches over low medium heat until it turns bright green and gets a bit soft. Pile the kale onto the desired serving plate, top with sliced pears and pecans. Dress to your perfection, then sprinkle with sea salt and fresh paper to taste. Serve immediately.