As seasonal temperatures take a nose dive, so does our skin’s moisturize levels. I am a firm believer that our skincare routine should change each season or during drastic temperature changes. While in Mexico earlier this week, my skin maintained a heavenly, dewy glow almost on it’s own but since my return only 48 hours ago, my skin has already returned to it’s lacklustre state. After living through more winters than I would like to admit, I finally got my winter skin care routine down to a science that consists of a few fool proof tips and cult fave products from Clinique found at The Bay.
1. Maximizing your moisturizer is one of the keys to supple skin and this begins with proper cleansing and clearing away dead skin cells. It is imperative to have a cleanser that not only removes dirt and residue but doesn’t strip away moisture from the skin. The combination of Clinique’s Foaming Sonic Facial Soap and the brand’s Sonic System Purifying Cleansing Brush works wonders and prepares your skin for some exfoliation.
2. Clear away dead skin cells. They can actually stop moisturizer from sinking into your skin. Buff your face gently bi-weekly with a mild exfoliant like Clinique’s Exfoliating Scrub or bead scrub of your choice.
3. Apply lotion and moisturizers on damp skin. I used to think this was just an urban skin care myth but did you know you have a three minute window to apply in order to achieve best results? I read this little fact a few years ago and turns out it actually does work. Waiting any longer than that and the moisture begins to disappear from the skin before you can lock it in. During the winter months I don’t play around when it comes to moisturizing. Besides their iconic 3 Step System (which I religiously use during the summertime), Clinique is known for two moisturizers that go the extra distance; Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief – a light gel that plumps skin with hydration for a full 24 hours and Moisture Surge Intense Skin Fortifying Hydration – a rich, oil free cream gel for dryer skin types. Also great when skin is extra dehydrated by air travel, indoor heating and dry climates.
Photos by David A Pike for Hudson’s Bay
4. Don’t neglect your skin when your sleeping. It’s easier to think about our skincare during the hours we are awake, but how about when we’re sleeping? Nighttime is when our bodies, and subsequently our skin, does the most healing so why not give our faces some TLC while we get some shut eye. The Clinique Moisture Surge Overnight Mask is brilliant. With it’s ultra creamy base, this penetrating night mask helps your skin replenish any moisture you lost during the day, plus builds reserves for the next day. I mean, who doesn’t want to wake up with glowing, dewy skin in the morning?!
5. Drink more water. We can only do so much with topical solutions. What we put inside our bodies is what matters most. There is still so much confusion as to how much water one should intake daily. Many like to just go with the regular rule of thumb of 8 of 8; meaning 8 glasses of 8 fluid ounces but over the years I have done extensive research on this topic and it’s turn out for women, we actually need 9-10 glasses a day. To stay on top of your intake, try to consume a glass every hour. Don’t wait until you are thirsty or parched, that means you are already dehydrated.
For more Beauty Bestsellers TheBay.com has a variety of product lines and brands for every skin type. For more lifestyle and beauty tips make sure to follow @HudsonsBay on social media or use the hashtag #HBNewYou.